Everyone has heard of the classic game of tic tac toe. Like many popular games darts has its own variation of the game. The rules are slightly more complex than other games. In darts however, it is designed to be fun for players of all experience and skill.
Tic Tac Toe darts is great as a two-player game, a family game, and a larger group game. Basically, it fits pretty much all people. When played as a practice game it is usually called “Bingo”.
Rules of Tic Tac Toe Darts
- Three standard tic-tac-toe boards are drawn on the scoreboard. There are smaller ones on each side for the teams to track progress and a large one in the middle where the actual game takes place.
- A player must first close a number in the small board in order to place an X or an O within the bigger game board.
- The aim is to score three in a row to close a number.
- The participants proceed to take alternating throws at the corresponding numbers in attempt to close them out.
- Each player has three darts per turn to hit the appropriate target.
- The player must score three on any given target before it can be considered closed. Once you have three hits marked for any given section, it earns the throwing player a mark on the main game grid.
- The singles sections count as one, the double section counts as two, and the treble counts as three.
- Just like the standard game the winner is the first player to get three in a line.
Put simply each segment will be assigned a number in order to give that segment of the grid a “X” or “O”. You must hit the given segment three times to try and get three in a row.
The first step is to draw out the game grids on the score sheet or scoreboard.
For the game you need three grids a centre grid. For the actual game and two smaller ones where you can keep track of a players scoring in closing the segments.
For the closing of the segments on the smaller boards use the cricket scoring system (“/”,”X”,” (x)”)
On the main board use the usual tic tac toe system and assign the players or teams an “X” or “O” to track their progress in making a line.
Once a player gets three in a row they have won, and the game is over.
Just like the standard game of Tic Tac Toe the game can end in a draw. Once it is clear that this game is void do not play out to a conclusion of the game. Simply wipe off and start fresh.
If you are a somewhat decent player and can hit your targets reasonably accurately use this as an advantage and try to quickly get ahead of your opponent.
If you really want to show off it is possible to hit three trebles in one round and win the game.
If you are in a large group, you can split up into many teams and have a full out tournament.
Final Thoughts on Tic Tac Toe Darts
This is a fun game worth trying, especially if you’re in a large group. However, in a large group breaking up into teams would work best. The game can also be quite fun for children and people new to darts.